Author Topic: Mars hides a gigantic ice sheet that may help astronauts  (Read 201 times)

Justaguy

• Global Moderator
Mars hides a gigantic ice sheet that may help astronauts
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »
As a rule, the truly large deposits of ice on Mars are at the poles... right? No. Researchers using the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's ground-penetrating radar have discovered that the planet's Utopia Planitia basin is hiding a thick (260 to 560 feet) ice sheet larger than the state of New Mexico. It's at least 50 percent pure, too. Observers had long suspected that the area had water thanks to surface cracking and depressions, but the previous explorer, the Mars Odyssey spacecraft, couldn't study much deeper than the surface.

Scientists tell the New York Times that the sheet likely accumulated as part of a Martian ice age and was buried before it could melt into a lake or evaporate into space.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/27/mars-hides-gigantic-ice-sheet/
"There is no hope in government. There is only hope in the Lord and the freedom He gave us."- AtomicLibSmasher, Aug. 2008

Its easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. - Mark Twain

byram

• Administrator
  • I hate SPAMMERS
Re: Mars hides a gigantic ice sheet that may help astronauts
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
I wonder how deep it is below the surface? 

Justaguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »
I was wondering if they could mine it, then use the mined out areas as habitats.  It's be below the surface to protect them from radiation, and it would give them virtually unlimited water.
"There is no hope in government. There is only hope in the Lord and the freedom He gave us."- AtomicLibSmasher, Aug. 2008

Its easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. - Mark Twain

byram

• Administrator
  • I hate SPAMMERS
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
What ever they need to get at the ice sheet will have to be there when they arrive. That means quite a few missions just to land the equipment they need. That is a long range project that will take a decade to complete, I think at least that long. Using the mine as a habitat is a good idea, but who know how long it will take to dig the mine. In the meantime, they'd have to survive on the surface. 

Justaguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »
Yeah, it would be a generational project.  It would have to be with the intent of establishing a permanent presence on Mars.