Author Topic: “Only Progressives Need Apply”  (Read 88 times)

tac

• Administrator
  • I hate SPAMMERS
“Only Progressives Need Apply”
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:58:57 AM »
By ILYA SHAPIRO and DEVIN WATKINS

William Felkner was a student at Rhode Island College, a state school, studying social work. The school’s faculty explained that as a profession “we do take sides” and are “devoted to the value of social and economic justice.” Accordingly, the professors required the students to lobby the state legislature for progressive policies.

But Felkner didn’t hold these same progressive views. When he refused to espouse the political ideology that was required, he was given failing grades and dismissed from the program. But of course the First Amendment has long been understood to prohibit the government from compelling an individual to espouse a political opinion with which he or she disagrees. Despite this, the lower state court actually upheld the school’s action, finding that no constitutional rights had been violated.

https://www.cato.org/blog/only-progressives-need-apply

The 1st Amendment free speech rights only apply to progressives is becoming more apparent every day.

True Republican

• Welcome to LC!!!
Re: “Only Progressives Need Apply”
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:18:41 PM »
This is nuts. I've heard of stuff like this happening more and more in colleges across the country.

tac

• Administrator
  • I hate SPAMMERS
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:20:22 PM »
Get use to it , this is the future of this country.

Justaguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:13:48 AM »
I don't think it is.  I think that's the future they want, but people are getting fed up.  Do you read the comments on all these anti-Trump stories.  When the lead mouthpieces for the enemy start back tracking, you know you have them on the run.  They will never give up, but they will retreat to regroup.

"There is no hope in government. There is only hope in the Lord and the freedom He gave us."- AtomicLibSmasher, Aug. 2008

“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.” - Mark Twain