Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Kyle Smith
National Review
July 25, 2017

Upon its release in 1982, no one would have expected Fast Times at Ridgemont High ever to receive the imprimatur of classic. The movie was engineered to make a quick buck at a moment when Hollywood was giddy about its latest easy-money formula: Take some horny teens, put them in a broad, dumb comedy that invited teen boys to ogle bare breasts, and load the soundtrack with hit rock songs...

Most of these efforts are too moronic to interest anyone who has weathered the teen-hormone tsunami, but despite its salacious title, Fast Times at Ridgemont High was different: a genuinely thoughtful and well-drawn collection of character portraits that stands on a higher plane than virtually any other teen movie of the era, including The Breakfast Club. Moreover, it concludes with a conservative message about the emotional perils of casual sex...

More
That's your opinion / Re: Political Cartoons and Other Political Humor - 2017
« Last post by EveningStar on July 24, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
Yahoo
July 23, 2017

The San Diego Comic-Con (which, believe it or not, used to actually feature comic books) is an annual celebrity fest these days. One such notable, Liev Schreiber, was in attendance this year, partly to promote, but also to parent.

Schreiber took his young sons to the entertainment spectacle this year, both in costume. His oldest son, 9-year-old Sasha, went dressed as a Jedi, and his youngest, 8-year-old Kai, decided to channel the unfettered persona of Harley Quinn.

As one would quickly assume, the child’s costume choice and the parent’s willingness to let him go as he pleased, inspired a fair amount of commentary in some circles online.

More

Harley Quinn

Liev Schreiber

San Diego Comic-Con
« Last post by EveningStar on July 24, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »

« Last post by EveningStar on July 24, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »

Nero, the Execution of Peter and Paul, and the Biggest Fake News in Early Christian History

Candida Moss
The Daily Beast
July 23, 2017

Christian tradition maintains that after Rome nearly burned to the ground, Nero engaged in a brutal crackdown on Christians which led to the executions of Peter and Paul.

On the evening of July 18, in the scorching summer of 64 CE, a fire started in a shop under the Circus Maximus in Rome. The fire quickly spread to nearby homes and businesses and the Circus itself. The fire burned for six days, ravaging the city. It left only four of Rome’s fourteen quarters untouched.

The reigning emperor, Nero, a man known for his cruelty and love of theater, scapegoated the Christians for the disaster. According to tradition and later historians, as a punishment, Nero devised grotesque executions for the Christians: he covered them in animal skins and had them torn apart by dogs, and he doused them in tar and used them as human torches to light the night sky for his dinner parties. It was in the wake of the fire, Christian tradition maintains, that the most important Apostles–St Peter and St Paul–were arrested and executed. But while the fire of Rome was a devastating historical reality, did Nero actually target Christians as a result?

More
Where does that leave Loretta Lynch?  Certainly not in line to have anything named after her.
The Porch Swing / Re: My dear wife
« Last post by Justaguy on July 23, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
Oh my, that' is terribly fast.  You and your family are in my prayers. 
Now THAT'S Funny!! / Re: Random Funnies
« Last post by Justaguy on July 23, 2017, 08:07:43 AM »
A young lady walks over to me and asks, “What brings you in today?”

I looked at her, and said, “I’m interested in buying a refrigerator.”

She didn’t quite know how to respond. 

Am I getting to be that age?

I was thinking about how a status symbol of today is those cell phones that everyone has clipped onto their belt or purse.

I can’t afford one. So I’m wearing my garage door opener.

I was thinking about old age and decided that old age is when you still have something on the ball, but you are just too tired to bounce it.

I thought about making a fitness movie for folks my age and calling it ‘Pumping Rust.’

When people see a cat’s litter box they always say, “Oh, have you got a cat?”

Just once I want to say, “No, it’s for company!”

Employment application blanks always ask who is to be called in case of an emergency.

I think you should write, ‘An ambulance.’

The older you get the tougher it is to lose weight because by then your body and your fat have gotten to be really good friends.

The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

Did you ever notice: The Roman Numerals for forty (40) are XL.

The sole purpose of a child’s middle name is so he can tell when he’s really in trouble..

Did you ever notice: When you put the 2 words ‘ The’ and ‘ IRS ‘ together it spells ‘Theirs…’

Ageing: Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.

Some people try to turn back their “odometers.” Not me.

I want people to know ‘why’ I look this way.

I’ve traveled a long way and some of the roads weren’t paved.

You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.

Ah! Being young is beautiful but being old is comfortable.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
Uh oh!! Take the lunacy to the max.....mandate that people will have to petition their local courts if they are found...and they will be found...to have a 'racially offensive' surname....like if your last name happens to be 'White', for instance.  :libs:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10